Friday 15 June 2007

Tangent: Reading my blog






I am absolutely over the moon that someone, no make that sometwo are

reading my words.


Two people, two very kind or very bored people have actually read my stuff and have even returned to read it the next day. And then they took the time and trouble to comment. Whew. Yippee. I am famous.

Long long long ago, or should that be 'once upon a time' I wanted to write a book. It was a pre-adult dream, after having grown up with 'The Famous Five' and 'What Katy Did' and 'Tom Brown's School Days'. I was a bookworm, devouring books at the same rate I devoured cream cakes and whole loaves of bread smeared with peanut butter and syrup.

When I became a teacher this dream became even more intense. Why couldn't I be another Roald Dahl, Dr Seuss or E Nesbit? Reality struck when I realised I couldn't even draw a stick figure let alone illustrate a novel. Soon it became apparent that it was going to take all my time and energy just to keep up with my marking and daily planning, let alone write a novel.

Eventually I let it go, returning every now and then to write the odd poem or two, keep up with my penfriend on the other side of the world and write loads of cutesy notes to various boyfriends along the way.

There was that one time 10 years ago when I wrote a poem for Diana. After she died, people who wanted to write something commemorative about her were asked to do so, and various items would be chosen for a book to be sent to the Spenser family. So I did it, a 4 line poem about anorexia. Eventually a short letter arrived informing me that my poem had been chosen and I was chuffed.

A few years ago I decided that it would be cathartic for me to sit down and write a book, my memoirs, pouring out the story of my miseries, pain and angst which spanned the decades. A true saga.

This I did over a period of months reaching about 60. By then I was totally and utterly bored. The whole thing had become a drag. It lacked humour and razzmatazz. When I wanted to edit it, I would read one or two pages and think 'boooorring'. So in a fit of pique I pressed 'delete' and thought 'good riddance to bad rubbish'.

Until now. Here I am at it once more. The difference this time is I am loving it, trying to make it honest, humorous and razzmatazzic. And look, I even have two readers.

Welcome both of you and I hope you will join me on my journey and let me join you on yours.